Saturday 2 May 2009

Blogging and Advertising

I've been blogging on and off for just over a year now and I'm consistently getting around 300 hits per month which I'm really impressed with. Most of my traffic (about 50%) comes through a single post about resizing images which leads me to believe that 90% of the folks that read this blog are developers like my self. And I guess this was alway my intention as I doubt anyone really wants to read about how I just mowed the lawn after playing 9 holes of golf, but I had reason to believe (and now have proof) that a few of my ramblings would hold some interest for a few people out there.

As a web developer I don't really like banner ads and rarely ever click on them (I think I've clicked on maybe 2 in my 10+ years of internetting) and a never click the sponsored links that show up at the top of Google, they're only at the top because someone paid for them, and to me that spells a false positive. The non-sponsored links below stand a very strong chance of being more relevant.

So, anyway, as a bit of an experiment and a completely transparent attempt to make a quick buck I've taken advantage of the quick and easy method blogger now provides to "Monetise your blog" and lobbed AdWords on here.

Obviously I hope I make my millions from it but I'd like to see if I actually make anything from it at all. I'd like to see if all developers are like me and see right through online advertising. Or if it's just me that thinks I can do a better job of finding what I'm after than Google can.

Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment